Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Reset!

If you know me at all, you know I'm not exactly tech-savvy.  Ask me what I know about computers and I'll say I can turn them on.  That's about it.  I'm just that good!

Yesterday was the epitome of my luck with technology.  Keep in mind this all happened IN ONE DAY.  <sigh>

I woke up yesterday morning and was going to put dinner together in the Crockpot.  I get out my Kindle Fire to connect to Pinterest.   I get the message "wi-fi not connected".  So, I go to connect.  I pick the correct signal.  I type in the password.  I hit enter.  It won't let me connect.  I try again. And again. And again.  I finally get frustrated, so I go to "help".  It tells me how to connect (which I've already tried) and if I'm still having problems click here.  I click here and it says ... get this!! It says you can not access this site because you need an internet connection!!!  Gee, thanks.  <sigh>  Shannon later figured out I'd have to reset the system.  Reset!

I get to work, do paychecks, etc.  I go to deposit my check online!  I scan my check.  "Can not process".  I scan it again. And again. And again.  (Are you noticing a pattern yet?)  After my 6th attempt, I quit.  An hour later I decided to try again, so I reboot the computer, scan in my check, and it finally worked (after the 3rd attempt).  Reset!

When I got home, I was in one heck of a mood!  Between the girls not listening to me and just life in general, all I wanted to do was sit down with a bowl of ice-cream.  So, I went to my room and turned on my treadmill.  I hit the Start button. Nothing happened.  This is pretty typical, so I knew what to do.  I hit Stop. Stop. None.  Start.  It started right back up.  Yea!  I'm walking at 3.0, 5% incline and I get to 0.68 miles and BAM! It stopped abruptly!  I would have given myself whiplash if I'd been running, which I was just about to start doing.   I hit Stop. Nothing. Start. Nothing.

I think this is about the time I just started cursing like crazy.

I called Sears to see if my warranty was still good.  Here's the crazy part.  I purchased this on September 28, 2011.  It got delivered on October 3, 2011.  It was October 1, 2012, two days shy of the 1-year delivery date, but three days past the 1-year purchase date.  :)  She couldn't find my information in her system.  (Of course not!)

I keep everything.  This is something I have been picked on about my whole life.  What's that?  You need the instructions for that baby doll that was given to you five years ago?  I got it!  Right here in my filing cabinet along with the warranties and manuals for everything I've ever purchased. EXCEPT THE DAMN TREADMILL!!!!!!!!!!  Really!?!?

LUCKILY, after an hour and a half of searching, I found the receipt that was emailed to me.  I HOPE I am able to get this thing fixed.  I have to call today, because, naturally, the office had closed 5 minutes before my treadmill croaked.  Three phone calls and too many internet searches later, I gave up for the night.

Frustrated, pissed off, irritated, resigned, I get on my computer to just "relax" and vent on Facebook.  I type as my status, "Why does technology hate me!?!?!?"  I hit post.  Nothing happens.  (You can't make this stuff up!)  I hit post, again.  And again.  Nothing.  <sigh>  I refresh my screen and get "Untrusted Connection".

I turned off my computer, stomped to my room like a teenager, and got ready for bed.  I thought, "just one more attempt before bed", so I get my phone, hit my Facebook button, and ... blank screen.  I threw my phone at Shannon.  After a few seconds, a message appears.  Shannon didn't let me see it because he thought I'd have a stroke after the day I'd just had, but I did catch enough of it to know that it indicated Facebook couldn't be accessed on my phone.  Reset.

All of this in and of itself is funny enough.  All in one day.  But, as I sat here typing this, my co-worker came up to me and said, "Can you come find the paper in the copier? It's jammed."  I go to the copier, find the paper, and pull it out, along with a long piece of melted plastic.  Reset is not going to fix this.  Repairman, take me away!

Reset.

1 comment: